GPS, otherwise known as Global Positioning System, put in layman’s term, are devices that you let you track your location anywhere in the world using a special network of satellites in orbit. This means that you can know your exact position, speed, and direction anytime, anywhere by using GPS-enabled devices such as smartphones and other handhelds, portable devices. GPS gadgets are indispensable devices in the hands of campers, hikers and travelers, as this set of individuals tend to travel a lot.
The importance of GPS gadgets can’t be overemphasized as they could be lifesavers when you least expect. Are you thinking of hunting deep in the woods, camping at unfamiliar locations, or even traveling to unknown destinations? Then you might want to embark on such missions with your portable GPS Gadgets. However, the major problem facing many people who would love to own GPS devices is the type and quality of GPS products to buy. To help you out, we have recommended 14 affordable GPS gadgets you can use for camping, hiking, and traveling. Some of these GPS gadgets can be installed in your car while others are portable enough to fit into your pockets or worn on your wrist.
14 Cool GPS Gadgets
1. Portable Lanzar SNV65i3D 6.5-Inch LCD Touchscreen with Bluetooth and GPS
The Lanzar SNV65i3D in-car entertainment/navigation system is designed to provide car owners and their occupant good entertainment and navigational functionalities they may need. The Lanzar SNV65i3D LCD monitor comes with touch screen functionality, which makes it simple and easy to operate. Besides, the quality of images displayed is picture perfect and crystal clear, which is important for entertainment and navigation purposes. This in-car entertainment monitor also comes with important video settings that allow you carry out necessary adjustments according to your specifications.
The Lanzar SNV65i3D navigation system comes with a 2GB SD card, and it is loaded with maps and navigational information that comprehensively covers North America – USA, Canada, and Mexico. This Lanzar SNV65i3D navigation/in-car entertainment system helps to keep the driver focused on the road because it comes with a good voice guidance service. It’s compatible with lots of digital formats including MP4, 3GP (video) and MP3, WMA (audio), and can be played with a USB stick or SD card. It also comes with a DVD/CD player, AM/FM radio (30 presets) and Bluetooth for seamless connection with smartphones. The total output is 320 watts, which comprises of audio channels at 80 watts each.
Also included in the Lanzar SNV65i3D is an iPod/iPhone cable as well as a Card-Sized remote control, which adds flexibility to the way you monitor and manage your entertainment system. Using this system, you can create a playlist and play music from your iPod.
Features of the Lanzar SNV65i3D
- Parking video output, AM/FM receiver,
- Treble /Bass/Balance/Fader/Volume Control
- Supports DVD/VCD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 – Bluetooth function
- 5-inch 16:9 Wide Screen TFT LCD
- Auto Memory store/preset scan
2. Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS – Waterproof Hiking GPS
The Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS is a highly sophisticated wrist-mounted GPS navigator, optimized to help you navigate your path easily, especially when your two hands aren’t available for navigational activities. The Garmin Foretex 401 GPS was manufactured using an excellent combination of highly-sensitive electronic compass, waterproof GPS receiver, and barometric altimeter into an ultra-compact device perfect for campers, skiers, and hikers. You can easily share data with friends, campers, and hikers by simply connecting the Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS navigator to a computer using either a wireless or USB connection.
Never Get Lost
We must admit that one of the biggest fears facing navigators and adventurers alike these days is the fear of getting lost. But when you are equipped with the Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS gadget, you don’t have to worry about getting lost or failing to retrace your steps. The Foretrex GPS 401 GPS gadget can keep track of your movement by displaying a dotted trail of your path, so at every point, you’ll be able to figure out where you were coming from and how to get back there. This portable GPS gadget is also equipped with an electronic compass and barometric altimeter that provides you valuable information about your bearing and altitude.
Track Your Data
The Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS gives users the ability to create and store routes to their favorite locations and provides other valuable information such as sunrise/sunset times, hunting/fishing data, and a trip computer. The Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS navigator can easily be integrated with important wireless accessories such as cadence sensor, heart rate monitor, and other health-related gadgets.
Basic Features of the Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS Watch
- Easy-to-read LCD and TrackBack feature that helps users retrace their paths
- Comes with a powerful, highly sensitive GPS receiver with Hotfix for improved reception and performance
- features include – hunting/fishing information, sunrise/sunset times, electronic compass, trip computer, barometric altimeter and compass
- Keeps track of waypoints, routes, tracks, and heart rate using a heart rate monitor (which isn’t included in this package)
- Dual position readout which enables users to view their current location in multiple formats
3. Garmin GPSmap 64s Worldwide Handheld GPS
The Garmin GPSMAP 64s comes with a highly sensitivity GPS, 2.6″ Sunlight-readable color screen and GLONASS receiver with powerful helix antenna for improved reception. It also comes with wireless connectivity, 3-axis electronic compass with barometric altimeter and a one-year BirdsEye accessory bundle.
Using a compatible iPhone 4s or later models, you can wirelessly receive texts, emails, and alerts using the smart notification feature. So there will be no need to search your pockets or backpacks for your Smartphone to keep in touch.
Get your bearing
The Garmin GPSmap 64s comes with a built-in 3-axis compensated electronic compass. It’s designed to show you the direction you are heading, and it does so accurately even when standing still or not being held in a level position.
Explore the terrain
The Garmin GPSMAP 64s comes with a 1-year BirdsEye satellite imagery subscription plus built-in worldwide base map with shaded relief, which is helpful when it comes to navigation. This device allows you to download geotagged pictures from the Internet and then navigate to them quickly.
The Garmin GPSMAP 64s unit gives you the ability to add more maps quickly because it comes with an array of detailed marine, topographic and road maps. You can use the Garmin GPSMAP 64s to transform electronic and paper maps into downloadable maps for your device, free of charge, because of its compatibility with Garmin custom maps.
Easily share routes, tracks, waypoints, and Geocaches wirelessly with other compatible devices. You can easily share valuable information with friends wirelessly, and this helps to speed up the process of sharing important data.
Features of the Garmin GPSMAP 64s
- 1-Year BirdsEye Satellite Imagery subscription
- 6’’ Sunlight-readable color screen
- 3-axis compass with barometric altimeter
- GLONASS receiver with quad helix antenna and high-sensitivity GPS
- Wireless connectivity via ANT+ or Bluetooth technology
4. Humminbird 899 ci SI HD Fish Finder
The Humminbird 899 fish finder HD SI Combo is designed to provide unsurpassed quality to users. It’s a significant improvement over previous models. This fish finder comes with a 7” inch super bright LED display, which allows for improved readability and performance when used in sunlight. Unlike previous models, the Humminbird 899 fish finder uses its 800H X 480V widescreen with 16:9 aspect ratio to deliver crystal clear, super bright images even in harsh sunlight. The Switch Fire and side Imaging/ Down Imaging Sonar with Dual Beam Plus has up to 8000 watts PTP power output, Ethernet Networking and GPS Chart plotting with built-in ContourXD map capabilities. The Ethernet feature helps you increase your odds by sharing GPS, Waypoints, Sonar and Radar with other Humminbird 899 fishfinder models.
Features of the Humminbird 899
- I-pilot Link Capabilities
- Internal GPS
- New cosmetics
- 360 imaging compatibility
- Newer high-speed processor
- 7” color Display
- 4000 watts PTP Power output
- ContourXD maps with GPS chart plotting
- Optional Ethernet Networking
- Down Imaging/Side Imaging/Dual Beam PLUS Sonar
5. Garmin Edge 500 GPS
The Garmin Edge 500 GPS gadget gives cyclists the ability to sharpen and improve their performance using cutting edge technology. The Garmin Edge 500 GPS is amongst the very best Cycling computers optimized for performance-driven Cyclists and athletes, with the ultimate goal of improving performance. This Garmin Cycling computer comes loaded with data and is capable of efficiently tracking vital stats such as locations, distance, speed, and elevation, using its highly sensitive GPS. You can even get a finely-tuned analysis of your performance by adding the ANT+ compatible heart rate monitor, power meter or speed /cadence sensor, to the Garmin Edge 500 GPS.
Jumpstart your training
The Garmin Edge 500 GPS comes with a low-profile design and can easily be attached to the stem or handlebars of your bike, thus reducing the amount of drag during rides. The quick activation functionality ensures that you are a step ahead of your competitors. To get the ball rolling, all you have to do is to turn on your Garmin Edge 500 GPS, acquire GPS satellites and then you are good to go. This Garmin Cycling computer helps you to calculate your position faster using its highly-sensitive GPS receiver with HotFix® technology.
Get the data you need
The Garmin Edge 500 GPS cycling computer provides and records critical performance stats such as speed, time, distance, calories burned, climb and descent, right at your fingertips, for subsequent review. This GPS cycling computer also comes equipped with a barometric altimeter that helps to pinpoint changes in elevation in addition to providing extra-precise climb and descent data.
Basic Features of the Garmin Edge 500 GPS
- Easy-to-read display
- Battery life – up to 18hrs
- Highly sensitive GPS receiver
- Barometric altimeter – for accurate climb and descent data
- Sleek, portable, light-weight design
- 1 X Garmin Edge 500 GPS unit
- 1 X AC charger
- 1 X Owner’s Manual
- 1 X Bike Mount
- 1 X USB cable
- 1 X Quick start manual
6. Portable 2013 Callaway Golf UPRO MX + GPS Unit
Golfing requires lots of technical gadgets, and one of those is the Callaway Golf UPRO MX + GPS. This golfing kit comes with two basic modes – GoMode and BasicMode, and it’s preloaded with over 25000 courses. To get a realistic aerial image of the Golf hole, you will need to activate the Pro mode feature, because it will help you estimate its range. You can quickly preview each hole’s hidden hazards and layouts because this unit’s aerial video flyover provides a unique bird’s eye view, giving you a strategic advantage.
The Callaway Golf UPRO MX comes with an early point technology that allows you measure accurately distance to and from any location you select. Shot tracking, as well as a digital scorecard, provides you insight into your game. You can analyze your game instructions as well as rounds, using its Stat tracker (uxplore). This Callaway Golf UPRO kit is guaranteed to give your golfing life a significant boost, as well as make you enjoy the lovely game.
8. Lowrance Elite 7X HDI Fishfinder with 50/200-455/800 KHZ Transom Mount Transducer
The Lowrance Elite 7X HDI fishfinder comes with an extremely powerful 7-ich, 800X480 pixel SolarMax 256-color TFT, Widescreen display with unmatched resolution, contrast, screen brightness and viewing detail, especially in bright light and at brighter angles. The screen and backlights are adjustable, which is important for improving visibility and usability day or night. The Lowrance Elite 7X HDI also comes with a 455/800 KHz DownScan sonar that provides high-definition details of objects beneath the surface as well as bottom structure. The DownScan imaging innovation of the Lowrance Elite-7X shows crystal-clear, Photo-like views of thermoclines, baitfish, bottom, structure and predator fish, directly beneath the boat.
The Lowrance Elite 7X HDI doesn’t require interpretation because of the easy-to-use features included in its development. The Lowrance Elite 7X HDI gives you the option to select 455 KHz for deeper and wider sonar imaging coverage, and for enhanced viewing of targeted locations, the 800 KHz option is a perfect choice. You can get new information about what goes under your boat by using both the high definition sounder as well as the standard sounder. This product comes with a one year warranty, so you can be rest assured of immediate replacement if the product becomes defective.
Features of the Lowrance Elite 7X HDI
- Superbright 7” Widescreen LCD
- Transom mounts transducer
- High Definition 455/800KHz Sonar
- Standard 50/200 KHz Sonar
- Deep/Shallow/fish alarms and NMEA 2000 interface
- Dimensions: 9.25”W X 5.4”H X 3.0”D
- Weight: 3.5 lb
8. Celestron CoursePro Golf Range Finder
The Celestron CoursePro Golf range finder is a GPS gadget designed to assist professional golfers in maximizing their potentials on the golf course. It comes with lots of golf courses stored in its built-in memory and can be displayed on the LCD when the need arises. Distances to the center, front and back of the green for each hole along with the par are shown right on the LCD screen of the Celestron coursePro Golf range finder. This unit comes with backlit LCD, which is important for viewing information and data in low-light conditions.
You can easily calculate your shot distance using this unit, which is important for improving accuracy. Golfers can get crucial, up to the precise information using Celestron CoursePro, and it will help them gain a competitive advantage over their adversaries.
Basic Features Celestron coursePro Golf range finder
- Backlight for view in low-light conditions
- 50-course capacity stored in its built-in memory
- Displays distance to the center/front/back of the green
- Short distance calculator (which is the distance from the point where you stand to the green)
9. Spy Tec STI_GL300 Portable Real Time GPS Tracker
If you are looking a portable, highly accurate portable real-time GPS tracker, then you should consider acquiring the Spy Tec STI_GL300. This top of the range, high-quality real-time GPS tracker uses GPS technology in locking a tight fix on the tracker’s location with alarming accuracy. This Spy Tec STI_GL300 Mini GPS tracker also comes packed with a 3-axis accelerometer that is optimized to improve tracking accuracy with motion detection.
The Spy Tec STI_GL300 mini real time GPS tracker comes in a portable design, making it extremely pocket-friendly and easy to carry around. It’s slightly larger than a matchbox, which makes it easy to deploy virtually anywhere. You can even track other vehicles you don’t own using this highly-mobile real time GPS tracker, and you can achieve that by deploying it with the waterproof magnetic case (sold separately) that allows you to attach it underneath vehicles.
High-tech tracking right at your fingertips
One of the highpoints of deploying the Spy Tec STI_GL300 real time GPS tracker is the ability to track and follow your assets or targets via the Spy Tec GPS platform using any device such as Smartphones, Tablets, Mac, and PCs. Activity records such as positions across the Google map, speed, and time, are easily tracked and monitored using this Portable real time GPS tracker, and you’ll be getting these vital stats via customizable reports.
The Spy Tec STI_GL300 comes with a comprehensive alert feature that can be customized to provide you alerts when the asset you are tracking starts or stops moving, breaks a certain speed, enters or exits restricted areas or when the battery of the real time GPS tracker is down. These alerts can be either be delivered via emails or text messages; the choice is yours.
Basic Features of the Spy Tec portable Real time GPS tracker
- Excellent battery life– Capable of lasting up to two weeks of continuous use
- Comprehensive emails and text messages alerts – Battery, Speed, Geofence and more
- 100% accurate real-time GPS tracking capability
- Saves your historical tracking data to cloud for up to a year
- $25 a month, No contracts, No activation fees, No cancellation fees
10. Hummingbird Fish Finder 998C SI Down Imaging/Combo with Side Imaging Dual Beam
The Hummingbird fish finder 900 series allow you to get quickly to the bottom of things with its amazing 8-inch widescreen, which now comes with super bright LED for improved readability and performance while working under sunlight. You can now see Down Imaging, Side Imaging, SwitchFire and the optional 360 imaging in high-definition pixel resolution, which is the perfect way it’s meant to be seen. The split screen viewing functionality of the Hummingbird fish finder 998 sonar and maps is made possible using the 16:9 aspect ratio. Optional add-ons such as Humminbird Radar, AIS, NMEA 2000 sensor or the new Minn Kota i-pilot-link, allow you to expand easily the navigational capabilities of this ContourXD equipped Fishfinder.
The high-Speed Ethernet of the Hummingbird fish finder 998C enables you to increase your odds by sharing Waypoints, GPS, Sonar and Radar with other Hummingbird Models. With all these unique, amazing technologies and capabilities at your disposal, getting fishes in the open shouldn’t pose any form of problem. The widescreen color display is perfect for viewing sonar graphs and charts side-by-side. This product also comes with a plethora of advanced GPS and sonar options, giving you a variety of tactical options.
Features and Specifications of the Hummingbird fish finder 998C
- Built-in ContourXD and precision GPS
- Down Imaging, Side Imaging and DualBeam Plus SONAR with SwitchFire
- Dual SD Card Slots
- Mounting: In-dash or Gimbal
- Depth: 150ft (SI/DI) 1500 ft (3000ft and an optional 50KHz transducer for deepwater use)
- 8” display with backlight with 480 X 800-pixel display
- 16:7 color TFT
- GPS Chartplotting with Built-in contour Xd mapping
- Dual beam plus sonar with up to 8000 watts power output
- Lakemaster and Navionics compatible
11. Feneris Enduro Pro GPS Tracking Unit
The Fenris Enduro Pro GPS tracking unit is designed and manufactured by TrackingTheWorld. It was created to satisfy individual and business needs, as well as personal safety, and covert tracking operations. The Enduro Pro GPS tracking unit is an all-weather capable GPS tracking device that offers greater accuracy and longer battery life than similar GPS tracking devices within its price range. The outstanding durability and reliability of the Enduro Pro GPS tracking unit are unrivaled in the GPS tracking industry, making the Enduro Pro one of the best GPS tracking devices available.
Features and specifications of the Fenris GPS tracking unit
- 7V Li-Polymer, 1300mAh backup battery
- 3D Motion Sensor
- Capable of lasting up to two weeks on a single charge
- Takes less than 25 seconds for cold start
- Less than 1 seconds for hot start
- Emergency alert, speed alert, and SOS alert
- Features MMCX RF connector for external GPS antenna
- IPX-5 water resistance
- 50-chanel all-in-view tracking
- Remote adjustments of tracking intervals
- GSM Phase 2/2+ compliant
- Includes a highly reliable UBlox 6 GPS chipset
- Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900Mhz
- Sleek appearance: 67.5mm X 40mm X 21mm
- Lightweight: 60grams
The Enduro Ankle Case allows you to utilize the Enduro Pro GPS tracking unit as an ankle bracelet tracker. All that you need to do in other use the Enduro Pro GPS tracking unit as a bracelet tracker is to insert it into its customized hardened ABS plastic, adjustable case and then attach it to whomever you want to track.
- Child safety
- Law Enforcement: Low – Risk Offenders
- At-Risk Individuals
- Home-based corrections
- Alzheimer patients
- Nursing facilities: Patients Security
12. Spy Spot TT8850 Real Time Mini GPS Tracking Device
The Spy Spot TT8850 Mini GPS tracking device is designed to help users track their vehicles and other mobile assets. This GPS gadget comes with important alerts like low battery alerts, motion alert, and geo-boundary alert, which helps to notify users about the positions of their important assets. These alerts are important when it comes to preventing theft. For $29.95 per month, you can effectively track your assets using your Smartphone or Personal computer.
If you’d like to track your assets globally, it will cost you $25 per month. Magnetic clips can be used to securely attach the Spy Spot TT8850 Mini GPS tracking device unit to the frame of a vehicle; however, magnetic clips are not included in this package. The tracking service provided for this device happens in real-time, so at every point, you’d know the position of your treasured asset.
Features of the Mini GPS tracking device
- Free cloth carry pouch
- Secure GPS Tracking from PDA-Styled cell phones and computers
- SMS, motion, low battery and email alert
- Long last battery life
13. Mini Personal GPS Key Finder
The Mini GPS key finder/locator is designed to provide directions and distance to a destination, set the destination point, provide current position and speed, record the distance traveled and display accurate time synchronized by satellite. Explorers and adventurers alike would find this GPS guiding unit handy and helpful. The major advantage of using this GPS locator is that it’s extremely portable and easy to carry around.
It’s as small as a wrist watch and can be attached easily to your key-holder, making it handy and accessible at all times. This mini GPS key finder is also perfect for Drift, climbing, hiking and many other outdoor activities. Its accuracy positions stand at 5 -15m, which isn’t bad especially when compared to similarly priced GPS devices on the market.
Features GPS key finder/locator
- Bright Backlit 1.4inch display
- Multifunction and simple operation
- 512 MB storage capacity
- Built-in lithium-ion battery
- Speed measurement calculator
- Housing: ABS
- Color: Army Green
- Dimension: 65 X 53 X 21mm
- Certificates: FCC/CE/Rohs
- 1 X PG03 Mini Handheld Multifunction GPS
- 1 X User manual
- 1 X Keychain
14. GPS Vehicle Tracker TK104 60days Standby Time
The TK104 GPS Vehicle tracker employs the use of GPS, GSM, and GPRS in determining the exact position of vehicles being tracked. Unlike other tracking devices that solely rely on GPS, the TK104 GPS vehicle tracker combines GPS, GSM and GPRS features in one unit, which makes tracking results more accurate and efficient. You’ll need to insert a 2G GSM SIM into the compartment of the TK104 GPS vehicle tracker, and then call the unit. It will send to you, via SMS, real-time geo-coordinates of its location. This GPS vehicle tracker can also be configured to send location, via GPRS, to send location information to a web server or computer.
Features of the TK104 GPS Vehicle Tracker
- Over Speed Alarm: It can be programmed to track speed of vehicles which have unit installed and then alert you when the fixed rate is exceeded
- Features powerful magnets that make the attachment of the GPS Vehicle tracker to vehicles firm
- Comes with Shock sensor alarm, Geo-fencing alarm, movement alarm and remote monitoring
- Movement alert: Once the car is parked, you can set up barriers. Once the vehicle is moved it informs you immediately
- Geo-fence: The geofence feature is designed to keep the vehicle’s movement within a particular location, once the vehicle goes beyond its predefined boundaries; it sends messages to official numbers.
- Comes with four tracking solutions
- Remote engine stop and resume
- Low battery function alarm
- Supports for external GPS antenna, GSM antenna, and external power supply
- Get GPRS real time tracking on web based server as well as absolute address by SMS
- Provides real-time tracking, which is necessary for recovering stolen vehicles and cargo
- 1 X GPS Tracker 104
- 1 X GPS Antenna
- 1 X Relay
- 1 X AC adaptor
- 1 X Harness
- 1 X AC Adapter (Input: AC100- 240 V, Output DC: 1.5A, 12V)
- 1 X Lighter car adapter ( Car 12V or 12V)
- Network band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- GPS Module: SIRF3 chip
- GPS precision: 5m
- Working temperature: 20°c to + 65°c
- GPS Sensitivity: 159 DBM
- Storage Temperature: 40°C to +85°C
- Standby time: 1500h (GSM sleep mode)
The GPS gadgets and portable GPS devices listed above may not be the very best or the most pricey gadgets in the market, but they certainly pack enough quality to help navigate unknown terrains or get out of the woods when you least expect it. GPS devices are “must-have” if you are an adventurer, camper, hunter or traveler. The convenience these GPS devices afford us cannot be overemphasized. Get out of your shell and explore the world, but don’t forget to carry along your GPS device or gadget. The GPS, although originally a military device, is one the best technological gifts to humankind in the 21st century.